mySchoolApp – a parent’s guide
OK, it looks like you’ve found your way here because your child’s school is now using mySchoolApp. It is FREE for you to download and is part of the school’s commitment to communicate with you, in a way that fits in with your life.
Keep on top of what’s happening at school, all just a couple of taps away – no more crumpled notes in the bottom of school bags or letters stuck to the fridge door.
Please recommend this free app to other parents at the school, if you find it useful – the more parents that download and use the app the easier it will be for your school to keep everyone up to speed.
The benefits of using a school app to you as a parent or carer include:
- Instant access to an up-to-date school calendar. Any events that are relevant to you, can be added to you own calendar with one tap on the screen.
- Keep up to date with what is happening at the school. Read bite-sized news items and scroll through the school image gallery.
- Direct contact links to the school – one touch dialling / email.
- Report your child’s absence to the school on the app (available only if the school has enabled this feature). No more trying to get through to the school office on the phone, first thing in the morning.
- Push notifications sent by the school, let you know the important stuff as well as helpful reminders (eg. snow days, school trip late back due to traffic, mufti days etc).
- Translate app content into 60+ languages (available only if the school has enabled this feature).
So, let’s get you started
Element content here.The first step is to get mySchoolApp on your phone. The easiest way, is to use your phone to search on the App Store (Apple) or Google Play (Android) for mySchoolApp. It’s the one with the multicoloured stickboy app tile. Alternatively, you can follow these links which will take you to the correct page on the app stores.
When you have downloaded mySchoolApp to your device (phone or tablet) there are just a few things you need to do, to ensure you can get the most from the app.
Login to the school
On the screen with the Apple start to enter the school name. Once you have entered a few letters, the app will give you some suggestions. Tap on the correct school name and you’re logged in. You only have to do this once, mySchoolApp remember your school automatically in future.
When you have selected your school you will be required to enter your details. This is a once only form and enables the app to identify you to the school. The school app administrator will be able to see your name, email and phone number. We also request you create a PIN, which is private. This will be used if you submit an absence notification via the app, ensuring only you can use this feature.
From the app menu, select Settings. In this area you can:
- update your details
- add additional schools (which use mySchoolApp)
- subscribe to Notification Groups
- choose which language you would prefer to read the app content*
*only visible if the school has taken the languages option
Push notifications enable the school to notify you of new messages or events without the need for you to actually open the app. It is recommended that you choose to accept push notifications from mySchoolApp, to ensure that you receive important communications, such as a school closure due to snow or a late coach return, etc. If your school has created notification groups you will see these in settings. Simply opt in, to receive notifications from the groups which are of interest to you. This function enables the school to send messages to specific year groups or sports teams for example