All pupils are motivated, enthusiastic and attentive learners. They display pride in their work and their school. Their behavior is excellent both during lessons and around the school. Pupils show courtesy, care and concern for each other and respect for staff and visitors. Estyn 2018
Abercarn Primary School caters for pupils between the ages of 3 and 11. It is situated in the Ebbw valley in the County Borough of Caerphilly. There are approx 260 pupils on roll, including 34 part-time children in the nursery. Pupils come from the surrounding area of Abercarn.
The school, which was officially opened in 1974, comprises of:
- The main building – Three Foundation Phase Classes, five Junior classes, Quad (Enclosed Tv Studio Filming area), Offices, School Hall, Kitchen, ICT Room, Radio Studio and a TV Studio.
- Astro Turf Sporting Surface, Barn, Quiet Zone, Football Zone, Playgrounds and Grass areas.
- One demountable classroom currently used as an Meeting Room and Intervention room.
- The Early Years Unit: A self contained unit for Nursery children with excellent outdoor learning facilities.
Children who attend Abercarn Primary generally transfer to Newbridge School at the end of Year 6.
Admission to Abercarn Primary School to children living outside catchment will be allowed providing:
- Applications are made through the correct channels;
- Space is available.