Welcome back everyone! I really hope you had a lovely Easter break and I hope you’ve taken some time to rest, play in the garden and spend time together as a family. I hope everyone is refreshed and looking forward to the term ahead. This term the focus is Health and Well Being and there will be lots of exciting activities happening throughout the term. We are still limited with what we can do as a “whole school” as classes still need to be in their bubbles and we need to restrict visitors into the building but we will do our best!
As society starts to slowly begin to release from lockdown we must be aware that COVID-19 has not gone away. We ALL need to follow the rules, continue to create space, wear masks and wash hands as much as possible. Please do not gather at the school gates and please do not stop for a chat with friends keep moving and keep your distance. By now, we all probably know people who have been affected by COVID and understand that it can affect people in different ways – some may not show any symptoms while others are severely affected We do need to work together to ensure we do not see a rise in cases.
DATES FOR YOUR DIARY
- Topic Overviews – Sent home by 23rd April 2021 – This will provide an overview of what we will be learning in school and how you can support at home.
- Year 6 Photograph – Year 6 will have a beautiful Year 6 Leavers photo taken on 26th May 2021.
- IDP Reviews – IDP reviews will take place on 16th, 17th and 18th June 2021 – These will be virtual and either take palce via video or telephone.
- Sports Days – We have planned sports days for Week Beginning 21st June 2021. Rising 3 and Nursery will be on 21st June 2021, Foundation Phase will be on 22nd June and Key Stage 2 will be on 24th June 2021. The 23rd and 25th are reserve days. We will post videos via Seesaw.
- May Day – School will be closed on Monday 3rd May 2021 as it is May Day Bank Holiday.
- Half term – Week beginning 31st May 2021 – School reopens after half term on Monday 7th June 2021.
- Parent Evenings – We will hold virtual appointments from 8th July 2021 – Further information will follow closer to the time.
- End of Year Reports – End of Year reports will be sent home from 30th June 2021
- National Tests – The Welsh Government have told schools to undertake the National Tests. We will undertake the tests throughout the week beginning 28th June 2021.
- End of Term / INSET Days – School will finish for the Summer holidays on Wednesday 14th July 2021. We have 4 remaining INSET Days that will be taken on the 15th, 16th, 19th and 20th July 2021.
- Classes and Structure for September – We will inform every one of our class structure and plans for September from the beginning of July 2021.
- Meet your new Teacher – Thursday 8th July 2021. Childen will spend some time in their new class and meet their new teacher. Nursery and Year 2 children will start transition in early June and visit their new class regularly. There will also be time for Nursery to stay and have dinner with us.
- Year 6 Leavers and Prom – 12th to 14th July – Further details will follow when confirmed.
- Year 6 Transition – 25th June 2021 – Visit to Secondary School. Several visits from staff and pupils will take palce in Summer term following all relevant guidance for COVID.
Year 3 and Year 4 Smaller Class
We have received extra funding recently from the Welsh Government and have decided to help all children in Year 3 and Year 4 by creating a smaller “boaster” class. This will also mean smaller class sizes for everyone. Smaller classes mean we can provide more support to all children. We have needed to put this together very quickly and we are focussing on providing support for Year 3 and Year 4 as a result of the lockdowns. Miss Hodges will be the class teacher Miss Hodges is fantastic and the children know her as she has carried out supply here at school. The new class starts on Monday for the remainder of the year. All parents / children that it includes have now been telephoned. If you haven’t heard from us do not stress! We telephoned individuals because we wanted you to have the opportunity to ask questions etc. The children will still have play and have lunch with their regular class and start / finish times will be the same. PE day is Monday. The only difference will be learning time as we can now provide even more support / challenge to all pupils. I know this is short notice but we have done our best in a short amount of time to use the funding wisely and support as many children as possible.
School Dinners and Fruit
Hot food next week is WEEK 2. Parents need to ensure Upay accounts are topped up. Hot food is available for all children. Fruit will be available free to all children. Children can bring in a healthy snack too. Lunch menus can be found at https://lunchmenus.abercarnprimary.com
A message from Mrs Watson – On the menu it states pork bites on a Tuesday. Pork bites are actually meatballs. Loads of children love meatballs but we think lots have thought pork bites are different they’re not different they are meatballs!
Reminders: Positive Cases and Test Results
Please continue to use the firstname.lastname@example.org email address to alert me to any positive test results out of school hours. Please only use this email for positive results out of school hours only. Use the school email address for any other information you wish to share. If you use the out of hours email address please expect a call from me using a withheld number.
If we have a case in school, classes may need to isolate for 10 days. Please be alert and ensure the number we have on file for text messages is up to date as we will use a text to alert you to case and any isolation required it maybe late at night or early in the morning please be alert.
Please do not send your child to school if he or she is:
- Unwell in any way – please make sure your child is 100% - we need to be as safe as possible.
- Has COVID symptoms and / or
- A family member is waiting for test results. Wait until you have received the result and your child is better before sending your child to school!
Just a little reminder about reporting an absence. Our phone lines are much busier at the moment. There are three ways to report an absence:
1: Use the report an absence feature on MySchoolApp
2: Complete the form at https://absence.abercarnprimary.com/
3: Report an absence on our telephone line by pressing 1 and leaving a message.