Who are the Buddies?
Playground buddies are children from Year 5 and Year 6 who are selected to go on duty at playtimes and lunchtimes to do any or all of the following:
- organise games,
- get out and put away games equipment,
- play with children who are lonely - supervise the buddy stop
- help to keep an eye on younger children,
- support children who have fallen out with their friends or are simply feeling sad,
- look out for bullying behaviour and alert adults,
- help children who have small arguments to sort them out,
- prevent fights from happening by creating a peaceful atmosphere,
- be a friendly person that other children can go to for help if they need it,
- be a help to lunchtime supervisors.
Buddies are selected by a rigorous application process. In 2020 due to the current situation, Buddies were chosen in Year 5/6. They are ‘Class Buddies’ until they are able to go onto other yards. Their responsibilities are to ensure everyone is included during breaks and that they monitor outdoor games boxes. Buddies have also prepared a wet play box.
This Years Buddies are?