Plan 5 - Full Closure
Last updated: 6:18pm | 09.08.2020
- There will be daily communication from teachers via Seesaw. Seesaw can be accessed via any platform e.g. mobile phones, tablets, desktops. If you need support with accessing a device or Wifi – please contact the school.
- Seesaw will be used as our main tool to set, monitor and model tasks. Tasks will be set by 9.00am daily – many teachers will post tasks / videos the night before. It will also be used to give instructions for completing Abacus and Purple Mash work etc. (Note: Nursery and Reception do not have Abacus). Videos and photos may be used to demonstrate and model concepts etc. Please complete as much work as possible. We recognise the various family situations and will be understanding to your needs although it is important that at least “some” work is completed. Teachers will provide regular feedback and mark work. Please contact us for any support getting things up and running!
- Tasks may also be assigned directly children via Seesaw. Children can separately login to Seesaw and complete the tasks online using their own individual login. Pupils login to Seesaw will be using their school Google login details (Firstname.email@example.com) .
- Every Wednesday, Mrs. Rhodes and Mrs. Lewis will be online instead of usual class teachers. They will deliver RE and PSHE and Well Being sessions and this will be a day that families can use to “catch up” etc.
- Every child will be provided with a work book, pens and pencils etc. We will hold regular “resource” give out sessions and will let you know days, times and location.
- All of our online platforms e.g. Abacus, Purple Mash, Google and Hwb can be accessed via our website www.abercarnprimary.com . Hwb offers free Office 365, Minecraft etc. It is important for you / your child to know Purple Mash and Abacus logins as this may be used to set and monitor work.
If at any time you need login details or codes etc, you can request them using the following link: passcodes.abercarnprimary.com
- In KS2, Google Docs / Email may also be used to set, share and receive work. Children know their login details and know how to access Google Docs via the internet on any device. Pupil logins are: firstname.lastname@example.org . Pupils know their password and have used this in school recently. Do not change passwords.
- Also in Year 3, Year 4, Year 5 and Year 6 teachers may use “Live Streaming” of lessons to support learning. You must provide consent and children must follow the rules to take part in “Live Streaming”. Please contact email@example.com if you have not provided consent and wish to do so.
- There may be occasions whereby staff members become ill and therefore cannot set, assign or monitor work / messages etc. If this is the case, you will be informed by text message. When the staff member is well enough he/she will resume work etc. This cannot be helped if the circumstance should arise.
Contact with school and teachers:
- Our text system, App, Social Media and Website will be used regularly and we will keep parents and out community updated via these platforms.
- There will be a weekly newseltter available on our Social Media platforms and Website.
- There will be two virtual assemblies every week as well as a “Cooking with Mrs. Watson” video.
- You will receive fortnightly “wellbeing and support” telephone calls from a member of staff to “check in” with you and your child. Please take our call. If we are unable to make contact we will forward concerns to other departments.
- Children who are usually involved with an intervention group e.g. Thrive will be contacted regularly.
- The school email will be monitored daily. If you use this email address to contact the school, please be patient for a response. We will aim to respond within 24 hours.
- Teachers can be contacted via email. Teachers will share their email address on Seesaw.
- If you have any general questions regarding home learning during school closure, we have a dedicated email address - firstname.lastname@example.org . This is for general questions rather than specific questions. You may ask specific questions via email etc. Again, please be patient, we will aim to respond within 24 hours.
- The school telephone number will be available from 9am until 12pm Monday to Friday – 01495 244566..
- We will still receive post as this will also be diverted if required.
Please be patient. If we are not working from the school building things may be a little slower but we will address all queries as soon as we possibly can.
To support learning at home, here are some useful websites.
This site is old and no longer updated and yet there's so much still available, from language learning to BBC Bitesize for revision. No TV licence required except for content on BBC iPlayer.
Learn computer programming skills - fun and free.
Creative computer programming
All sorts of engaging educational videos
National Geographic Kids
Activities and quizzes for younger kids.
Free science lessons
The Kids Should See This
Wide range of cool educational videos
Crash Course Kids
Science awards you can complete from home.
Digital enterprise award scheme you can complete online.
Paw Print Badges
Free challenge packs and other downloads. Many activities can be completed indoors. Badges cost but are optional.
All kinds of making.
Is in U.S. grades, but good for UK Primary age.
Listening activities for the younger ones.
Resources for English language learning
Oxford Owl for Home
Lots of free resources for Primary age
Blue Peter Badges
If you have a stamp and a nearby post box.
The Artful Parent
Good, free art activities
Red Ted Art
Easy arts and crafts for little ones
The Imagination Tree
Creative art and craft activities for the very youngest.
Educational online games
DK Find Out
Activities and quizzes
This is more for printouts, and usually at a fee, but they are offering a month of free access to parents in the event of school closures.