Class Structure 2020 Letter
School will be reopening for everyone in September. Exact start dates will be confirmed in the next few days as we are currently waiting for further guidance from the Welsh Government and Local Authority.
PROVISIONAL dates are that term will start on Thursday 3rd September 2020 for Year 1 to Year 6 children and from Monday 7th September 2020 for our Nursery and Reception children. These are provisional and may change.
This will be our Class Structure from September 2020.
Mrs Parry and Mr Lumby (Mornings only)
** There will be three Year 5/6 classes as there was this year. There will be an extra teacher in Year 2 every morning working alongside Mrs Parry.
- Nursery will join us in September. This will include the children who should’ve started with us in April but due to the current situation did not actually start. We will be starting nursery gradually in order for the children (and parents) to get to know Mrs Lewis in small groups. Children have been split into five groups (Group 1, Group 2, Group 3, Group 4 and Group 5). For the first week, Group 1 will attend on Monday; Group 2 will attend on Tuesday, Group 3 on Wednesday and so on. For the second week, we will gradually build up the class so all groups are together by the end of the second week. We will be sending you a letter with days to attend shortly. Our Nursery Handbook and videos from Mrs Lewis, Mrs Richards and Miss Holland are available on our website in the “Transition” section.
- Children in our current Nursery will move up to become a Reception Class from September with Mrs James and Miss Evans. We will be starting our Reception class gradually in order for the children (and parents) to get to know Mrs James and Miss Evans in small groups as they have not had the opportunity to visit during the Summer Term. Children have been split into five groups (Group 1, Group 2, Group 3, Group 4 and Group 5). For the first week, Group 1 will attend on Monday; Group 2 will attend on Tuesday, Group 3 on Wednesday and so on. From Monday 14th September 2020 the whole class will attend school. We will be sending you a letter with days to attend shortly. Our Reception Handbook and videos from Mrs James and Miss Evans are available on our website in the “Transition” section.
- Children in our current Reception Class will move up to become a Year 1 Class in September with Mrs Harry and Mrs Beagan / Mrs Davies
- Children in our current Year 1 Class will move up to become a Year 2 Class in September with Mrs Parry, Mr Lumby (Mornings only Teacher), Mrs Parry (Teaching Assistant) and Miss Baker (Teaching Assistant). Mr Lumby will work alongside Mrs Parry and will be providing further support and challenge with literacy and numeracy every morning.
- Children in our current Year 2 Class will move up to become a Year 3 Class in September with Miss Jones and Mr Jameson / Mrs Haines as Teaching Assistants.
- Children in our current Year 3 Class will move up to become a Year 4 Class in September with Mrs Jones. Mrs Haines and Mrs Pardoe (Teaching Assistants) . Key Stage 2 support / interventions will also be in place.
- Children in our Year 4 class will move up and be split into one of three Year 5/6 classes with either Mrs Tavas, Mr Perry or Mr Yamamoto.
- Children in our Year 5 class will move up and be split into one of three Year 5/6 classes with either Mrs Tavas, Mr Perry or Mr Yamamoto.
Children in our current Year 4 and the Year 5 children in our current Year 5/6 classes will be split to form three new Year 5/6 classes with an average of 22 pupils per class. Due to the current situation and as we do not know what may be around the corner we have split the classes to support ability and so that we can provide an enhanced level of support or challenge to meet each child’s needs without any need to change classes as we usually do in the mornings for English and Maths. This will also ensure focussed support and challenge can be provided with any Distance Learning in the future. Mr Perry, Mrs Tavas and Mr Yamamoto may also move between each class with responsibility for delivering certain areas of the curriculum. You will receive a message shortly telling you your child’s class teacher for the new academic year. Please check out the transition pages for the welcome videos from staff.
When pupils are in mixed classes they are not disadvantaged in any way. Teaching staff work very hard to ensure that that they plan for the needs of all pupils, that they are given work appropriate to their age and ability and that they experience a curriculum that will enable them to progress. Children are happy learners at Abercarn Primary and the relationships that teachers have with pupils is a major strength of the school. Please do not place undue emphasis on the fact that your child may be going into a mixed class, as this will cause unnecessary anxiety for some children.
Unfortunately, due to the current situation children will not have the opportunity to meet their new teacher before September. However, on our website all staff have recorded video messages to their new class and I encourage you to view the videos with your child. Also on the transition section you will find our school prospectus and tours of the classrooms.
Mr G C Roden