What Is Growth Mindset?
The term ‘growth mindset’ refers to a way of thinking, learning and taking on challenges. A person with a growth mindset is open to constructive criticism, takes feedback and uses it, takes on new challenges, pushes themselves outside of their comfort zone and shows resilience and perseverance.
Studies show that it is people with a growth mindset (as opposed to a fixed mindset) who achieve in life, are successful in all they do and are happy. Of course, this is exactly what we want for all our children.
Growth Mindset At Abercarn!
Having been introduced to the concept of growth mindset at Abercarn in September 2017, pupils have participated in a range of activities to learn more about it and try to display a growth mindset in school (and at home). Pupils are taught how their brains work and how new connections are formed when we try new things and practise them, over and over. Pupils have learnt about famous and influential people who have succeeded due to having a growth mindset and not giving up on their goal. We have had PSHE lessons and assemblies about growth mindset, but most importantly, teachers and pupils have embraced the language and the way of thinking that promotes using a growth mindset in all lessons.
Some key aspects of Growth Mindset at Abercarn School
- We remember it’s always OK to make mistakes – we learn from them
- We never give up! We try a different approach, or use a different strategy
- We learn from each other – you guys often make the best teachers!
- We don’t compare ourselves with others, but we do learn from others
- We challenge ourselves – which really helps us make progress
- We take risks – we don’t limit ourselves by taking the easy option
- We join in as much as possible – and we learn much more by being involved
- We remember that mastering something new feels so much better than doing something you can already do
- We remember that the brain is making new connections all the time – the only thing you need to know is that you can learn anything!
Grow Your Brain: a collection of helpful literature and useful resources!
Please download a document from the links below:
Growth Mindset Videos:
Bruno Mars on Sesame Street - Don't Give up
Will.i.am on Sesame Street - What I Am
The Learning Brain
The Power Of Teamwork
Growth Mindset Video