Happy Friday everyone! I hope everyone has had a good week! The days are flying by! It’s been really busy here at school and children are settling back into school life really well. Please can I ask everyone to ensure you wear a face covering whilst on school premises unless you are medically except I always provide spares at the gate if you need one and please keep your distance from others.
We do not know what is around the corner! We do not know whether cases will continue to fall or whether we will see a third wave. We must be cautious and do things sensibly. At this moment in time it is highly unlikely that we will be having parents on site for at least the Summer Term (possibly longer) (e.g. sports days) as it could potentially be a mass gathering / super spreading event. We will do all the usual things in school but we may need to photograph / video events and show parents via Seesaw / School website etc. This is not us being unreasonable or unkind to parents but simply following the guidance and keeping everyone as safe as possible. We’ve come so far and done so well! The same applies to Breakfast Club as soon as it is safe and we can mix classes then we will be able to reinstate Breakfast Club I understand frustrations (I really do) at the moment we cannot mix classes as soon as we can safely operate Breakfast club, we will, I promise!
Don’t forget COVID-19 has not gone away. We ALL need to follow the rules, continue to create space, wear masks and wash hands as much as possible. Please do not gather at the school gates and please do not stop for a chat with friends keep moving and keep your distance. By now, we all probably know people who have been affected by COVID and understand that it can affect people in different ways even if you’ve had the vaccine some may not show any symptoms while others are severely affected We do need to work together to ensure we do not see a rise in cases.
REMINDER - DATES FOR YOUR DIARY
- Topic Overviews – Sent home by 23rd April 2021 – This will provide an overview of what we will be learning in school and how you can support at home.
- Year 6 Photograph – Year 6 will have a beautiful Year 6 Leavers photo taken on 26th May 2021.
- IDP Reviews – IDP reviews will take place on 16th, 17th and 18th June 2021 – These will be virtual and either take palce via video or telephone.
- Sports Days – We have planned sports days for Week Beginning 21st June 2021. Rising 3 and Nursery will be on 21st June 2021, Foundation Phase will be on 22nd June and Key Stage 2 will be on 24th June 2021. The 23rd and 25th are reserve days. We will post videos via Seesaw. Parents will not attend.
- May Day – School will be closed on Monday 3rd May 2021 as it is May Day Bank Holiday.
- Half term – Week beginning 31st May 2021 – School reopens after half term on Monday 7th June 2021.
- Parent Evenings – We will hold virtual appointments from 8th July 2021 – Further information will follow closer to the time.
- End of Year Reports – End of Year reports will be sent home from 30th June 2021
- National Tests – The Welsh Government have instructed schools to undertake the National Tests. We will undertake the tests throughout the week beginning 28th June 2021.
- End of Term / INSET Days – School will finish for the Summer holidays on Wednesday 14th July 2021. We have 4 remaining INSET Days that will be taken on the 15th, 16th, 19th and 20th July 2021.
- Classes and Structure for September – We will inform every one of our class structure and plans for September from the beginning of July 2021.
- Meet your new Teacher – Thursday 8th July 2021. Childen will spend some time in their new class and meet their new teacher. Nursery and Year 2 children will start transition in early June and visit their new class regularly. There will also be time for Nursery to stay and have dinner with us. We will be following COVID guidance and may need to do things slightly differently to the “norm”.
- Year 6 Leavers and Prom – 12th July 2021 – At The Crown in Abercarn.
- Year 6 Transition – 25th June 2021 – Visit to Secondary School. Several visits from staff and pupils will take place in Summer Term following all relevant guidance for COVID.
The PTA will be holding their AGM (Annual General Meeting) on Wednesday 19th May 2021 at 4pm. It will be held at school but will be outside and all COVID precautions will be taken including face coverings and socially distanced seating. Please can all PTA members and anyone interested in becoming actively involved attend the AGM A Chairperson and other Officers will need to be elected. Some members will be stepping down this year and we thank them for their fantastic hard work and dedication to our school.
Year 6 Leavers Prom
The date for the Year 6 Leavers Prom is Monday 12th July 2021. I wanted to get the date to you quickly as I know many parents wanted to make plans etc. We have arranged for it to be held outside at The Crown in Abercarn. A range of food will hopefully be provided by Shedlife Pizza and drink refreshments from The Crown. We will be sending home letters for tickets shortly.
Year 3 and Year 4 Smaller Class
The new class in Year 3 and Year 4 have settled really well and the children are really happy and doing great! Thank you to Miss Hodges and the hard work with planning the class and ensuring all children settled and are already working hard!
School Dinners and Fruit
Hot food next week is WEEK 1. Parents need to ensure Upay accounts are topped up. Hot food is available for all children. Fruit will be available free to all children. Children can bring in a healthy snack too. Lunch menus can be found at https://lunchmenus.abercarnprimary.com
Reminders: Positive Cases and Test Results
Please continue to use the email@example.com email address to alert me to any positive test results out of school hours. Please only use this email for positive results out of school hours only. Use the school email address for any other information you wish to share. If you use the out of hours email address please expect a call from me using a withheld number.
If we have a case in school, classes may need to isolate for 10 days. Please be alert and ensure the number we have on file for text messages is up to date as we will use a text to alert you to case and any isolation required it maybe late at night or early in the morning please be alert.
Please do not send your child to school if he or she is:
- Unwell in any way – please make sure your child is 100% - we need to be as safe as possible.
- Has COVID symptoms and / or
- A family member is waiting for test results. Wait until you have received the result and your child is better before sending your child to school!
Just a little reminder about reporting an absence. Our phone lines are much busier at the moment. There are three ways to report an absence:
1: Use the report an absence feature on MySchoolApp
2: Complete the form at https://absence.abercarnprimary.com/
3: Report an absence on our telephone line by pressing 1 and leaving a message.