Site news

Weekly Newsletter 5th September

Picture of Mr L Greenslade
Weekly Newsletter 5th September
by Mr L Greenslade - Wednesday, 5 September 2018, 5:14 PM

WELCOME BACK

I hope everyone had a lovely Summer break and you’re all refreshed for the new school year!  A big welcome to our new Nursery and to all the new pupils and their families joining us throughout the school.

Welcome to Mr Chris Beech and Mr Philip Perry – our new Year 6 Teachers – I am sure you will see them around and get to know them over the coming months. Welcome to Miss Emily Jones who will be covering Year 3.

As usual, this is a busy term and many things will be happening. I look forward to your continued support! Parent curriculum overviews will be sent home within the next few weeks and a “Diary of Events” for the Autumn Term is attached. The parent overview will allow you to reinforce and explore concepts at home!

NEWSLETTER

In order to promote eco initiatives (saving paper), Our weekly newsletter will from 17th September 2018 will be added to our New School App as well as being available on all our social media platforms (e.g. Website, Facebook, Twitter etc. with only minimal copies available to collect from a “newsletter box” at the front of the school on a weekly basis.

WORKSHOPS AND PARENT ENGAGEMENT

Please look out for any parent engagement sessions this term. The Open Day is planned for November 2018 and further information will follow.

SCHOOL OFFICE

The school office opens at 8.30am daily and closes at 3.30pm. There is a drop box outside the main door and outside the office for anything to be dropped off securely.

ESAFETY

We will be continuing our drive with E-Safety this year and you will receive regular updates from our E-Safety group – half termly / termly. The group is made up of pupils, a Governor and two staff. The pupils would really like a parent representative. If you are interested, please contact the school office, Mr Greenslade or Mr Roden. The group will be really grateful to have parents on the group.

DINNER MENU AND NOTICE BOARD.

The weekly dinner menu is available both online and on a notice board towards the front of the school. Dinner menus and nutritional facts are also available on the “my school lunch” website. The newsletter and announcements will also be in the red notice board.  We will also continue to use the text service / School App for announcements / updates – please make sure all your details are up to date!

PLEASE DOWNLOAD AND SIGN UP FOR THE SCHOOL APP – Please contact Mr Greenslade for further support.

SCHOOL CLUBS / SPORTS

Details of school clubs and sports will be sent home in the next couple of weeks

WHAT’S NEW and WHO’s WHO

During the six weeks holidays, we have been very busy once again! Several areas have been refurbished including the foyer, cloakrooms, courtyard, nursery furniture and also our TV Studio is now complete. Hopefully over the coming months our pathways and roads will have new tarmac and our fascias will be   re-painted. Parents will be invited to view our new Studio over the coming months.

In the next week’s newsletter I will once again summarise the whole staff and their responsibilities so all parents are fully aware of staff, senior staff and managers, who to go to if you have concerns regarding a particular issue and who is in charge of certain areas and subjects etc. I will always speak to parents and have done so since I’ve been at Abercarn Primary. However on some occasions I may not be the right person.

PTA

The PTA is keen to hear your ideas and make a great start for the new school year.  Further details of the AGM will be sent home shortly  – everybody is welcome.  If you would like to apply for a position on the committee please make yourself known at the AGM.

IMPORTANT LETTERS

Please find attached a collection of important letters to be completed and returned to school by 14th Sept 2018. They must be returned to school as soon as possible. We will be chasing any letters not returned.

Lots of letters are included in your pack owing to General Data Protection Regulations 2018 (GDPR). Please note staff may not discuss pupil details over the telephone without first checking whether they are talking to someone with parental responsibility. Please do not be offended by this – they need to check!

UNIFORM

It is important that pupils wear school uniform! Our school uniform is available at Regis, Newbridge and Darren Morgan Sports in Crosskeys!  Uniform promotes positive behaviour, our school community and reduces peer pressure. All Foundation Phase children must have “Wet Weather” gear in school Please ensure it is clearly marked! Please ensure children have appropriate PE clothes – plain t-shirt and plain shorts.

Dark coloured trainers are acceptable but brightly coloured laces must be avoided.

FRUIT TUCK and HEALTHY LUNCHES

A portion of fruit will now be 30p. Please ensure packed lunches are healthy.

ATTENDANCE

It is important for children to attend school regularly. We will be chasing parents if pupils have attendance of below 95.5% and will be contacting the Education Welfare Officer if pupils are not punctual and attendance drops below 90%. Our attendance target for this year is 95.5% - Attendance forms part of the categorisation criteria of schools – Please help us to achieve well!

DINNER MENU

This week is Menu 1