School Announcements

Newsletter 10 (Friday 20th November 2020)

Newsletter 10 (Friday 20th November 2020)

by Abercarn Admin -
Number of replies: 0

Hello everyone! I hope everyone has had a good week! It’s been another very busy week here at school! As promised, here is the “Winter Drop off and Collection” routine https://winter.abercarnprimary.com/ We will all need to work together to make this work. You will need to be on time – no stragglers!  Please read the procedure. Staff will be on hand to help out and there will be signs to help everyone. You may need to cross at one point on the one way system and I anticipate it to be much busier. I am encouraging all adults to wear a face covering whilst on school premises due to it being much busier – you will see staff wearing face coverings outside too. Please also use the hand sanitiser on your way in.

As you are all aware, we have had another case of COVID-19 although this time it meant Year 2 need to self-isolate.  Even though the case was in Mrs Parry’s class, the children play together at lunchtime and therefore we need to be safe and isolate all Year 2 children. Year 2 are now on Distant Learning and can return to school on Tuesday 1st December 2020 (confirmed), if well. If your child becomes symptomatic and tests positive during this time they must isolate for 10 days after the date of symptom onset, or positive test date if symptom free. Please keep us informed. I’d like to say a big well done to Year 2 children and family members – you are doing fab with Home Learning! 

Please remember if you are a Year 2 parent and require any support – please get in touch! Mrs Parry and Mr Lumby can be contacted on Seesaw and via the school office. Teachers will respond as soon as they possibly can during school hours but remember they may be busy online. Some parents have queried why they were notified just before school. I was notified at approximately 7.30am on Wednesday and then notified everyone as soon as possible after that (7.45am was the first text I sent). I could not notify anyone any sooner. I know this situation will cause you all some concern and this is completely understandable. I want to reassure you that all appropriate risk assessments and safety measures are in place throughout the school. These are being strictly followed to protect all pupils and staff and to limit the risk of any cross-contamination.

If we are aware of children and / or family members isolating, we will telephone you to check everything is okay and whether any symptoms have developed etc. We are telephoning you to check everything is fine and whether there is anything we can do to support you and also to ensure that we have an up to date understanding of any symptoms etc to support the Track, Trace and Protect process. I am on call 24/7 and therefore having an up to date picture allows me to be one step ahead should anything need to be done in school. Please do not be annoyed or upset if you receive a telephone call – we are not checking up on you – we are trying to be helpful!.  

Please check out the updated “Home Learning (https://homelearning.abercarnprimary.com)” and “Coronavirus (https://covid19.abercarnprimary.com” sections on our school website. They have been updated so they are easier to navigate and have extra bits on them to support you at home! Please take a look! 

Please do not become complacent - COVID-19 has not gone away yet and anything could be just around the corner –be prepared and ready for anything that may come our way.    

• Please keep 2m distance between you and others.
  • Please wait until it is your time to enter in the morning – we need to keep groups separate.
  • Please keep children close by – do not let them run in front of you or play outside.
  • Please be prepared as much as you can be if your child’s class needs to close at short notice.

Restrictions in Wales from Monday 9th November 2020:

• All services/businesses that have been asked to close have now reopened.
  • You can travel anywhere in Wales but going into England and international travel will be a no unless you have a reasonable excuse to do so.
  • Schools, childcare and universities are open.
  • You are able to bubble with one other family
  • You can take part in organised indoor events of up to 15 people and 30 people outdoors (all social distancing rules to be complied with).

The rules can be summed up as - stay home wherever possible and where you can’t, stay local.  Limit your interactions with people other than those you live with or the one other household you chose to bubble with. Always maintain 2m distancing.

CHRISTMAS

Christmas cards – Children can bring in Christmas cards (if they want). However, cards can only be given directly to others in their class. If they have Christmas cards for children in another class, cards will need to go into the class box  - cards will then be delivered to the other class a few days later. Please ensure the name and class is written on the front of the envelope. 

Gifts – Children can bring in gifts although they will need to be placed in the class “Gift Box” for at least 48 hours before being opened / handled.

2nd December 2020 – Christmas Tree lights turn on – We are aiming for an outdoor Christmas Tree this year so everyone can see it.

4th December 2020 – Elf Day – Dress as an Elf Day with contributions to Alzheimer's Society

7th – 18th December 2020 – We have arranged for every class to watch a virtual Pantomime “Jack and the Beanstalk” and take part in virtual meetings with Peter Duncan from Blue Peter.

7th – 11th December 2020 – As we cannot invite parents into school, Christmas Concerts will be recorded and released on our YouTube channel for parents and family members to view at home. Please note that we will only record children if you provided permission at the start of the year.

14th and 15th December 2020 - Christmas Markets – We will be sending home an order form and online payment details for Christmas market orders. If you purchase items they will be sent home on 14th and 15th December.

16th December 2020 – Christmas Dinner and Class Parties (Children can wear party clothes / non uniform)

17th December 2020 - Carol Service

END OF TERM and INSET

We will finish for the Christmas break on Friday 18th December 2020.

School reopens on Tuesday 5th January 2020.

We will be taking Monday 4th January 2020 as INSET.

INCLEMENT WEATHER – SNOW

We are moving into the colder months whereby the possibility of snow is more likely. Please read our Inclement Weather guide on our website: https://inclementweather.abercarnprimary.com (It is in the Key Information section on our website). Staff will post fun activities on Seesaw for the occasional day. For prolonged closure due to snow our Distant Learning Policy will take over and staff will be online every day. We will of course keep you in the loop with everything!

CHILDREN IN NEED

Thank you so much for the donations so far to Children in Need – It is really appreciated! We raised over £350.00 through our Just Giving page! Wow and Thank You so much!  

REMINDER - POSITIVE CASES AND TEST RESULTS

Please use the covid@abercarnprimary.org email address to alert me to any positive test results out of school hours. Please only use this email for positive results out of school hours. If you use the out of hours email address – please expect a call from me using a withheld number.

LIVE STREAMING

If you have a child in Year 3, Year 4, Year 5 or Year 6 and haven’t already provided consent for live streaming – please go to http://livestreamconsent.abercarnprimary.com If you have given consent previously you do not need to do it again! Do it now if you are happy to give consent! Don’t wait!

EXPRESSIVE ARTS

The Expressive Arts performances are now available to watch on our You Tube Channel here:
https://virtual.abercarnprimary.com

SCHOOL PHOTOGRAPHS

School Photographs is on Monday 23rd November 2020 (Monday coming). Photographs will be taken following all social distancing measures. All children will be photographed individually on this occasion.

We have arranged for Year 2 to have photographs when they return on Tuesday 1st December 2020.

ABSENCE GUIDE – COVID-19

Please familiarise yourself with our absence guide for these challenging circumstances. The guide covers different circumstances and advises the action you need to take and details about returning to school. The guide can be found here: http://absenceguide.abercarnprimary.com

HELP and SUPPORT

If any family is struggling for food etc during these difficult times – please talk to us in confidence and we will do our best to support you! Please don’t be afraid or embarrassed to give us a ring or drop us a message (it will be totally confidential). We have links with local food banks and will try and get something sorted for you!

During the month of December we will have essential food items available and the school will arrange a parcel so no one is hungry during the festive period! We are more than willing to help! Thank you to the parents who have offered to support this too. Staff and I will fund this and if we need any further help we will be in touch! Thank you for your kind offers.